Most of my 2015 Christmas gifts were handmade – either crafted or cooked/baked. It was all a bit last minute so I don’t have particuarly great photos I’m afraid.
I’ve made this pattern, Butterick 5792, three times before (twice for my Mum, and once for an Aunt); this time it was for one of my sister-in-laws. The pattern is decribed as “Loose-fitting, pullover top or gown has narrow hem”.
The pattern itself is fairly straightforward – each time I’ve made view B. On my first version I made the self-fabric neck frill/edging. I remember it being quite a faff and it didn’t seem to sit quite right so I’ve never included it on subsequent makes! She gave birth to my second niece a few days before Christmas so I wanted to add in a front opening placket to make it easier for when she is feeding the baby.
The fabric is a gorgeous soft brushed cotton twill (flannel) that I have in the shop. The background is a lovely soft pastel blue with a pattern of white abstract leaves. (I spotted the same fabric in David Niepers 2015 autumn/winter catalogue – very fancy!) The neckline and armholes were finished with pre-made bias binding.
To make space for the placket I removed the centre-most pintucks. I simply folded out the pintuck closest to the centre front on the paper pattern piece before cutting the fabric out.
To make the front placket I used a tutorial on the Indie Sew website: How to sew partial plackets the easy way. The only thing I’m not keen on is that you end up having to overlock the bottom edge of the placket on the inside. I’d rather it finished more like a tower placket on a sleeve so that all the raw edges are enclosed and topstitched down. I forgot to take a picture of the inside to illustrate this.
I used pearl snaps / poppers for the fasteners on the placket. I’ve recently invested in a set of Prym Vario Pliers – wow, what a difference they make to installing poppers. You have far more control of the positioning and don’t risk over hammering them like you do when using the default plastic fitting thing-ma-jig. The pliers are definitely worth adding to your sewing tool box if you want to add poppers to your handmade items (great for bags too).
This was a pretty quick sew even with the addition of the placket. In terms of the pattern I like that you get quite a few options included – various lengths, a long sleeved option, and a pyjama set (top and bottoms), making it good value in my opinion. The shape of this nightdress gives a very generous fit through the body – you really only need it to select your size based on the fit around your chest. It would be easy enough to take in the side seams if you preferred a less voluminous look.
Total cost: £29.60
Fabric: Brushed cotton twill – 2.4m @ £26.40
Pattern: Butterick B5792 – £0 (used before)
Notions: Thread; Poppers £3.20 for four (packet of 6 costs £4.80); Vario Pliers (or you could just use a hammer)