When the Bunny Garden fabric arrived from Lewis & Irene I knew straightaway that I wanted to make an Easter outfit for each of my two nieces.
First Day Top for Meg
My go-to pattern for girl’s clothes is the Geranium from Made by Rae, however, I was keen to try something different for a change. The First Day Dress and Top happened to pop up on my Instagram feed and I knew the peplum top (top left) was just what I was looking for. This is a really great value pattern; for approx. £7.30 you get 5 different styles that can be made with or without sleeves, in ages 2-10.
The benefit of the PDF is that you can keep printing it out and cutting different sizes as your kids grow, without worrying about cutting into your precious tissue pattern or having to trace it!
Meg was 2 in January so I went with the age 3 thinking that it would give plenty of space to grow in to (you’ll see from the photos I was a bit optimistic with this!). I used the Bunny Wreath on Light Grey for the main top and Pretty Flowers on Pink for the sleeves and peplum. The bodice is lined with the pink fabric. The back of the bodice was finished with 4 plastic poppers (you could use buttons), and I finished the curved hem of the peplum with pink bias tape.
What I really love about the Geranium Dress is the easy and clean finish you get by lining the bodice. To incorporate this into this make I made a few alterations which you can view below if you are interested.
Back bodice – added 1” to the centre back seam and cut 2 pieces (rather than 1 piece on the fold)
Cut the front and back pieces out again using my lining fabric
Sewed the outer front and back together at the shoulder seams
Sewed the cap sleeves and inserted as per the pattern instructions
Sewed the lining front and back together at the shoulder seams
Pinned the outer and lining RST (so that the sleeves were sandwiched in between)
Sewed from the centre back of one side, round the neck and back down the centre back of the other side
Sewed each amscye in turn
Turned the bodice right side out and pressed well
Sewed the bodice side seams
Sewed the peplum front to back at the side seams
Sewed the peplum to the constructed bodice and overlapped the centre back bodice pieces to fit
The finished top is so fun and is just perfect for this fabric. As you can see it is a little tight for Meg round her middle so best you check the actual measurements rather than going with the age. She seemed to enjoy modelling it for me and hopefully she gets a bit of wear out of it before it is too small.
New Look 6111 Romper for Ivy
I’ve had New Look 6111 in my stash for a while (probably since Meg was born!). Ivy is 3 months old and I made the size small.
I used Bunny Adventure on White for the main romper and some Robert Kaufman Chambray Union for the bib and cuff contrasts. I’m so used to making adult sized clothes I forgot just how fiddly it can be sewing for babies. This little romper pretty much featured every technique going: invisible zip in the back, poppers at the leg closure, bias cut bib contrast, bias tape finish on the arms and neckline, and front inverted pleat. Phew-ee! My seam ripper got a fair amount of use is all I can say!
It was all worth it as the finished romper is very cute and will hopefully last Ivy into some warmer weather.
I was keen to get some photos of the girls wearing them but photographing kids/babies is not easy.