The weather at the moment seems to be struggling to commit to moving forward to Spring. Just when I think things are on the up, the temperature plummets and the rain moves in – brrr! Anyway, not one to be deterred, I’m ready for Spring when it arrives with my new short pyjama set – McCalls 6659.
This is McCalls 6659 that I bought in the recent McCalls half price sale (along with lots of others!). This is a really good value pattern IMO (even without it being on sale). Just look at all the options you get: You get: a robe/dressing gown in two lengths with a tie belt; pyjama shirt with short or long sleeves, and curved or straight hem; shorts; and pyjama trousers with straight or tapered legs. It is one of those patterns that has so many tissue pieces that once you get it all out of the envelope you don’t stand a chance getting them all back in!
While pyjamas are meant to be un-fitted, it is nice to have them so they aren’t totally baggy. The shirt has bust and back darts for some shaping which is a nice feature. I sewed the shirt in view C with the curved hem, and the shorts (view E) – both as a straight size 16. I chose not to sew the back darts in the top to keep it relatively loose but otherwise I sewed both items as the pattern.
I wanted something fun and fresh for spring and I’ve just got in a range of spotty cotton poplins. I chose the lovely sky blue colourway which I think complements the classic style of the pyjamas. The pattern fabric suggestions are for more luxe fabrics like silk and charmeuse, but I think it works equally well in a cotton and a poplin has the added advantage of being opaque. The spots are so small I didn’t take any care in pattern matching!
I sewed up the shorts first and there really isn’t anything complicated in them. They have a split hem at the side which is a nice feature. I finished them off with some pyjama cord attached to the elastic instead of making the self-fabric ties provided.
The shirt is more challenging with the collar and set-in sleeves, but I think pyjamas are great projects for developing your skills on! I added some piping to the collar for a bit of fun (view D has piping around the collar and down the centre front). The curved hem gives a nice modern finish and I chose to leave off the ribbon trim they seem to suggest being sewn around the hem. The buttons are some plain white plastic button from my stash.
A really great pattern with loads of options. The instructions where comprehensive and although this is marked as an ‘easy’ pattern, you might find the shirt quite challenging if this was your firrst dressmaking project.
Total cost: £23.09
Mini Spot Cotton Poplin – sky blue: 2.6m @ £7.20/m = £18.72
McCalls 6659 – bought with 50% off: £4.37
Buttons, thread and piping: from stash