Description: Learn the basics of patchwork & quilting and sew a gorgeous mini quilt as a cover for your sewing machine. This is a great class for anyone wanting to try patchwork and quilting as you’ll get to try out some of the basic techniques on a small project.
You’ll learn how to: use a rotary cutter, sew half-square triangles, assemble your mini quilt top, create a quilt sandwich, add quilting for texture and definition, and how to finish your quilt with mitred binding.
The finished cover measures approximately 38cm / 15″ (width) x 66cm / 26″ (long)
Skill level: Suitable for confident sewers. No prior patchwork & quilting experience is required.
Requirements: You’ll need the following supplies. You’ll receive 10% off any supplies bought from the shop.
- 1 x fat quarter for the outside (pieces above and below the rows of half-square triangles). If your fabric has a directional print then you will need 0.5m.
- 0.5m for the backing (fabric should be at least 112cm / 44″ wide)
- 2 x fat quarters for the half-squre triangles – ensure there is some contrast between the two. If you want to make you triangles more colourful then you will need additional fat quarters. (You will have fabric left over.)
- 1 x long quarter for the binding (a long quarter is a 25cm cut of fabric with the whole width of fabric (WOF))
- Thread for construction, and additional colour(s) for quilting if desired
Available dates: This class is over 2 sessions lasting a total of 6 hours.
Sunday 26th March: 10am – 5.30pm
Light refreshments will be provided throughout the class. For full-day workshops, please bring a packed lunch or you can pop out to one of the cafes in town to buy something.