I finished my Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief in a bit of a frenzy back at the beginning of June. I was rushing because I decided I wanted to enter it into the village show industrial competition. Now I’m not a fast knitter by any means so there was some late nights pulled to get it done!
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock Yarn – Ravelry Red
I had this Malabrigo Sock Yarn in my stash (I also have a skein in the Violet Grapes colourway too – I think I bought it alongside the Arroyo for my Peggy Sue). I’d decided I didn’t want to knit socks with it…the yarn is far too nice, so I turned to Ravelry for some inspiration. If you’re into yarn and not familiar with Ravelry then you should be! It is a fantastic resource of patterns, reviews, yarn, project ideas…. You can search for a yarn and then see all the projects that people have made with it and you can filter by colourway as well to see how the yarn knits up. This is how I found The Age Of Brass And Steam pattern, which just so happens to be a free pattern as well. Although it is written for DK or worsted weight yarn, someone had knitted it up in Malabrigo Sock Yarn.
I followed the alterations suggested by the reviewer but ended up running out of yarn before she did so my last block/repeat isn’t quite as deep as hers. Since I wanted to use as much of the yarn as possible, towards the end I measured how many metres of yarn each row was taking – around 5.75m! – and I measured out enough to keep for the bind off and final 3 rows of pattern, and then just knit enough stockinette to use up the remaining yarn. I had the merest scrap of yarn left at the end.
Using the Malabrigo Sock Yarn and size 6.0mm needles this is what I ended up knitting:
25 rows stockinette (85 sts)
3 garter (93 sts)
25 rows stockinette (169 sts)
3 garter (177 sts)
21 rows stockinette (241 sts)
3 garter (249 sts)
21 rows stockinette (313 sts)
3 garter (321 sts)
14 rows stockinette (405 sts)
Final 3 rows as per pattern (415 sts)
I didn’t have time to block it so I used a damp piece of cotton between a warm iron and the kerchief to press it which seemed to smooth it out nicely. The Malabrigo yarn gives such a lovely stitch definition and the subtle marling of the colour shows up really well in such a simple pattern. The finished kerchief is more like a small shawl with the finished dimensions: 137cm (54″) along the straight edge and 43cm (17″) at the widest point.
So was it worth the self-imposed pressure of knitting it in time for the show……yes! I won first prize for the knitted category which I couldn’t quite believe as there are some very talented knitters (including my Mum) who had items entered. I’m still deciding what to spend my 70p prize money on…it is currently burning a hole in my pocket 😉